lördag 18 maj 2019

Eurovision 2019: Not too bad

For the first time in years, I've been pretty pumped for Eurovision - both the Swedish heats and the European competition. Not having to worry about your latest villain crush's fate does free up time and energy to engage in more trivial matters. However, I've come to realise that I'll never again be enthusiastic enough to watch all the entries before the semi-finals, which means pre-final blogging pretty much has to take place the same day as the big event. OK then. On the basis of the semi-finals and Youtube clips of the already qualified entries, here are my favourites for this evening:

Sweden: Yeah, I bet you didn't know Sweden had good Gospel singers, did you? But we're multicultural, us. Someone will doubtlessly make fun of the cosmopolitan vibe of this number - the folk song trend is clearly dead - but this, in Eurovision terms, is typically Swedish in the most important way: it's high-quality stuff. John Lundvik has charm in spades, and the choir of seasoned Gospel ladies adds that little bit extra. For the first time in forever (the last time was Måns Zelmerlöw, I think), I'm fully behind Sweden's choice for Eurovision. Lundvik for the win!

Russia: The way I've previously gone on about "You're the Only One", Sergey's entry from 2016, as the song to beat you'd have thought it was from the Beatles. And OK, maybe I have been overselling it a trifle, considering that it contained lyrics like "Thunder and lightning/It's getting exciting", but I really liked it. The song Sergey is competing with this year is not as strong or as hummable, but it's not bad either, and the man's a real pro. A serious contender, who'll probably be kept down by the jury groups (they nobbled his chances of winning back in 2016).

Serbia: I'm growing old, aren't I? The kind of Balkan ballad I found boring twenty years back now strangely appeals to me. Serbia was probably helped by being in the first semi-final which was considerably weaker than the second, but it was my favourite in that one. Nice and melodic.

North Macedonia: On the subject of ballads, this one delivered after a breathy start. If the whole "what will happen to my daughter/s in this uncertain world?" message is a bit too pompously worthy for you, pretend that Cersei from Game of Thrones is singing it. It's what I do.

Czech Republic: I think I like the idea behind this song more than the song itself - the lyrics seem to be about a guy explaining to his jealous girlfriend why he's so pally with the girl next door ("We knew each other when we were both thirteen... there's not much between us now... you know what I mean..."), and that's a witty idea. The song is upbeat, too, which will be welcome in a field where many of the numbers take themselves a mite too seriously.

United Kingdom: Right. This is the test. I'm not expecting the UK to win by any means, but the song is solid (written by Lundvik as it happens - which is a bit awkward as his own song is better), the singer, Michael Rice, is endearing and the video (I haven't seen this one live) was really sweet. It should do decently. If it doesn't, even after the Brits have shaped up their act in this competition for several years in a row, maybe it's time they took drastic action.

It's overblown, its expensive, many of the countries - even the ones you're subsidising - are hostile, and you'll never catch a break from the French. Brits, heed my advice: if you bomb this year as well, maybe you should consider exiting the Eurovision Song Contest.

On the subject of France: I think it's likely that they will win the whole competition this year. Many of the winners of recent years have had a Message that was In Tune With The Times. It's not what I enjoy, but it seems to fly with (extended) Europe's juries and voters. France's earnest inclusivity number will probably hit the spot. And to be fair, they are serious about it - it's not just surfing a trend, and it's not as gimmicky as Israel's winner from last year. (Is it just me who thinks it doesn't sound so bad to be someone's toy? It is, isn't it?)

Nevertheless, I'm still hoping that a good tune, preferably without world-improving overtones, wins this year. Apart from the ones mentioned above, entries from the Netherlands, Estonia and Azerbaijan kept a high standard. Not that I can hum them.