It's my second week back at work, and I can't say I feel particularly sprightly. But speculating on the Mouse's future plans usually perks me up, so let's do that.
At the latest D23 event, the audience got to see the first short trailer for Frozen III. (Roman numerals seem to be the norm when it comes to Frozen sequels, something I'm only now picking up on.) My first reaction when I heard that Disney Animation was going to do a Frozen III – and eventually even a Frozen IV – was a groaning "Really?". I wasn't too impressed by Frozen II: yes, the animation was lovely, but the plot was thin and the originally charming characters had started to grate somewhat. Consequently, I did not think Frozen had much left to offer as a franchise. However, after the D23 trailer (how much am I allowed to know about it? I'm assuming a lot as theories based on it have been plentiful on YouTube) I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong.
Look, if Disney has to do sequels, the world of Frozen may actually be one which can be mined for another movie or three, especially if the studio is heading in the direction it seems they are. For one, it appears they are steering away from the dreary Nature vs Civilisation storyline touched upon in Frozen II. The threat in Frozen III looks set to be not some long-dead Arendelle king who screwed over the noble tribe of the Northuldra, but good old magic, as wielded by a wicked counterpart to Elsa.
And that's the next bit of good news: it seems we're getting a front-and-centre all-out dramatic villainess in the classic Disney mould, and frankly it's been a while since. It's like the animators at Disney brought out their old sketches of Elsa, back when she was supposed to be evil (and a more faithful adaptation of H C Andersen's Snow Queen), and thought: "hang on – these are too good to simply throw away". I'm all in favour of actually getting a villainous Snow Queen, especially seeing as the previous two Frozen films have had precious little to do with Andersen's tale. Personally, I would have preferred a foxy male winter-themed villain (where I come from, Jack Frost is not some mischievous teenager as depicted in Dreamworks' Rise of the Guardians – only saying), but I'll settle for the razzle-dazzle of a Disney villainess.
There are causes for concern, however. On the hero side of things, the Frozen III trailer only features the original team of five: Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Sven the reindeer and Olaf the snowman. It is telling that not one of the characters of Frozen II was considered important enough to be allowed to join the group. Also, Anna snaps at Kristoff, and this just before they are about to get married (or possibly directly afterwards). Anna and Kristoff's relationship has felt off ever since Frozen II, and if I'm going to be invested in it at all she needs to stop walking all over him.
As for Olaf, who was fun in the original Frozen and the "Olaf presents" shorts on Disney Plus, he started to get on my nerves in Frozen II. As far as I'm concerned, this character has overstayed his welcome, and I'm afraid giving him a snowwoman love interest will result in him having too high a profile in the new film. It's a cute callback to Frozen II to call her Samantha, though.
Speaking of love interests, I'm not getting my hopes up when it comes to Elsa ever finding love. Here, the well-meaning speculations of the fandom may have hampered her chances. When Elsa was not paired off in Frozen (because she had other things to worry about), some fans started to theorise that she might be lesbian and clamour for a "girlfriend for Elsa". In Frozen II, Elsa's brief interaction with the rather bland Northuldra girl Honeymaren, who was so unimportant to the plot it was easy to suspect that something was left on the cutting-room floor, fuelled further discussions.
For my part, I can't say I've so far detected any romantic interest on Elsa's side for any character, either male or female. A boyfriend would be as plausible as a girlfriend, in my opinion. But I'm guessing Disney won't introduce a female love interest for Elsa for commercial reasons, nor will they dare to introduce a male love interest for fear of angering the fans who wanted a girlfriend for her. Poor Elsa will have to remain celibate.
The chances of Hans returning and getting a redemption arc are also, let's face it, very slim. But as long as the Frozen films decide to go down the magical mystery route instead of pitting Arendellians against the one-with-nature Northuldra, I'm cautiously optimistic. Scandinavia has a lot of winter-themed folklore and fairy-tales to offer. Maybe the King of the Snowy Mountains, who rejoices when the sun sets for months on end leaving the North in darkness, would be a villain to consider for Frozen IV? Only saying.
